[plug] ADSL comment

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 27 14:16:48 WST 2000

"de Vries, Arie" wrote:

> > From: Bret Busby
> >
> > community (telecom does not intend to provide ADSL to Armadale,WA;
> >
> ADSL is not the be all and end all of internet connections.
> Have just read Crossroads by Steward Fist in The Australian IT.
> http://www.australianit.com.au/common/storyPage/0,3811,1237920%255E506,00.ht
> ml
> He comments that US companies are cherrypicking the good customers and
> refusing to connect those where there might be problems.

That soundsl like telecom. The USA people aren't the one's that own
telecom, are they?

My brother in Auckland, NZ, has ADSL, and apparently gets pretty good
data transmission rates. I think his rate is about 128kb, but I am not
sure. When downloads are in the megabytes per email, it would make a
difference.

> Also Bret, the telco is called Telstra not telecom, has been for about 5
> years!

That must be when they gave up on telecommunications. Methinks they just
tried to rip off the name Telstar (the telecommunications satellite from
the 1970's, I think it was, that had the piece of music written and
named after it).

> > Why, when the line is used for data, have call waiting? Better to get
> > the growth excised.
>
> Because my phone system doesn't have recall facility, I have call waiting
> turned off, but otherwise I would have my set-up stop & start it when on the
> internet. Can't see the point in having a second line and I _work_ for
> Telstra!

We got the second line, after an incident a few years ago, when Anne had
to dial into a client's site from home, to fix a problem, and, had to
speak to the client on the phone at the same time. An hour and a half
(from memory), of mobile phone call, at telecom's rates then, was quite
an expensive call. And, that was not the only time the need for both
data and voice communication, via telephone, were needed. I believe that
ADSL provides both, with a single line.

> Arie de Vries

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988