[plug] mounting query

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Sep 27 15:39:11 WST 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
> After having replaced RH 5.2 on my computer, with RH 6.2, and, not
> having backed up /etc/fstab, I have tried to get my data partition
> (FAT16) mounted.
The Redhat upgrade ate your fstab? As tricky as people tell me the Debian
install is, you only have to do it once.

> My /etc/fstab file, after modifying, now reads:
> /dev/hda6    /            ext2     defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda5    /mnt/data    msdos    defaults        0 0

I doubt this is the problem but the fstab manpage states:
 "The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) pro
  gram to determine the order in which filesystem checks are
  done at reboot time.  The root filesystem should be speci
  fied with a fs_passno of 1, and other  filesystems  should
  have a fs_passno of 2."

> On booting, in the output from the bootup, is the error message:
> Mounting other file systems mount: mount point /mnt/data does not exist
> <FAIL>
> Can someone please tell me what is wrong, and, how to correct it?
At a guess, mount point /mnt/data does not exist and you can correct it by
creating it. (mkdir /mnt/data)

-Greg