[plug] wine, netscape

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 29 11:13:34 WST 2000

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, alan howard wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, BillK wrote:
> > > Lock file: Are you closing netscape or crashing it? - will leave lock
> > > file if not shut down cleanly
> > yes I am shutting down netscape correctly
> > - its not after a crash or lock up..
>
> Sadly, the first thing you said does not imply the second. Many versions
> of Netscape have been known to crash when you try to close them. (usually
> a libc mis-versioning) You might find that you have to rm ~/.netscape/lock
> prior to every invocation of netscape.
>
> -Greg Mildenhall

This happens consistently with me (with Win98); Netscape 4.74 for Win98
crashes about 70-80% of the time, when closing it down. Then, it leaves
some residual nasty, which also has to be cleared, before being able to
shut Windows down. The residual nasty sticks its head up, when I try to
shut Windows down, then I have to bash it on its head.

And, before anyone asks "Why not use Netscape on Linux?", as previously
mentioned, Netscape Messenger in 4.75 (and the version that came with RH
6.2, 4.72, I think), appears to not want to work. I have a copy of the
Netscape data files (Inbox, etc) in my common data partition, to which I
point the versions of Netscape on each operating system, so I can access
the data, regardless of which operating system I am using, and, in the
past, have been able to access the data, by pointing the relevant
Netscape parts to the relevant directories, but I am unable to do it
with the two versions of Netscape for RH 6.2. I had previously been able
to access the data equally well, using Netscape 4.08, 4.51, 4.61, and
4.74.

These problems have not occurred with previous versions of Netscape;
only with Netscape 4.7x. Pity about the bugginess (if that is the
problem). Maybe they are trying to increasingly emulate MS; release
things before they are ready.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988