[plug] wine, netscape

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Sep 29 15:49:20 WST 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 12:37:44PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > What is YMMV?
> > Your mileage may vary.  (I'm almost positive you've asked this before.)
> > AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, START TRIMMING UNNECESSARY QUOTAGE FROM YOUR
> > REPLIES!
> Perhaps, using language that can be understood by all, could reduce
> unnecessary bandwidth usage,
Since that is one of the most widely used acronyms on the 'net, and has
been explained at least twice before on this very list (the archives are
searchable, you know?) I think it counts as language that can be
understood by all. Anyone on a Linux mailing list is probably capable of
finding out the rudimentary information necessary to use a tool, be it a
piece of software or a world-wide network. I have another acronym for you.
RTFF.

> (fundamental rule of communication - try to avoid jargon, as much as
> possible).
This goes some way to explaining why you are such an ineffectual
communicator. Jargon (in most cases) develops as a set of common terms of
reference to facilitate concise expression. The shared body of
understanding allows for concepts to be put across clearly and concisely,
by alluding to, rather than distractingly and obscuringly detailing what
is already commonly understood by those listening. If you don't have the
common understanding that everyone else does, there are myriad places to
look things up.

> I believe that I have not asked before (although, I could be corrected).
Regardless, it has definitely been answered before.

> You should, perhaps, consider others a bit, Christian;
> not everyone on the list has either your fondness of, or familiarity
> with, these obscure abbreviations.
Not everyone, no, but you are in a minority approaching one. Most people
pass quickly and easily from the stage of not comprehending to
understanding and appreciating the clarity and economy of expression.

> And, after the installfest, it is possible that new subscribers may
> occur, who will, no doubt, similarly ask what these things mean.
Good. As new Linux users, they will do well to learn how to find things
like this out.

> People should not have to use a jargon dictionary, to be able to use the
> mailing list.
I would dispute that. (surprise :)
If the discussion is constantly bogged down in revised minutae covered
umpteen times already, then those who got it the first time are likely to
lose interest. When the well-clued leave, it will be the newer members who
suffer from the lack of their knowledge and experience.

While I agree there is no point in deliberately obscuring one's point or
using jargon that does not elucidate or simplify, the signal-to-noise
ratio can only increase if people use well-known terms and that most
readers will understand and let the others educate themselves with the
archives or a search engine or someother reference.

> Oh, and, I understood that it was extremely bad etiquette, to "shout",
> via email, using big letters, as above. but, I may be wrong.
You didn't seem to hear us when we spoke in lower case.
We have said it in lower case countlesstimes now.

> >From what I understand, these obscure abbreviations, like cantonese
> characters, can have many meanings, which can depend on context.
Then you probably don't understand.

> So the passages in which they occur, may need to be included, to get the
> meanings in context.
Yes. Quoting the surrounding phrase, or even the whole sentence can be
useful. Quoting the entire post is pointless, wasteful, and likely to
prevent people bothering to read or respond to your question. Most people
just hit delete when an email comes up with nothing but quoted text on the
first page. It's not worth the effort to read it all again.

Quoting too much text obscures your point and makes it difficult to see
which part you are responding too. The easier something is to read, the
more likely you will get a response, and the less likely you will get
flamed. Simple.

-Greg