[plug] debian install from floppy disks?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Sep 30 18:47:14 WST 2000

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 06:04:34PM +0800, Jason :) wrote:
> I've downloaded the basic floppy disk images for Debian (potato), and being
> a first time user of debian, i was wondering if anyone could tell me before
> i start installing:
> 1. does it have tools for making a modem connection to the internet?
> 2. any other hints (i've heard the install can be tricky)

If you get all of the images (base, root, rescue/boot) which I think
as I said last week totals around 11 disks or so (less if you have
base2_2.tgz available via network/CD, etc) then you should end up with
a fully functioning system including PPP for dialing up to your ISP.

As for tips:

Plan your disk layout. If your disk is larger than 1 GB, you will need
to partition a small amount for booting, and the rest of the
root filesystem. This can be  alittle tricky, but (and I may be telling
you something you already know) use the cfdisk program that it launches for
you to set up:
	hda1  40 MB ext2 Linux
	hda2  120 MB Linux swap
	hda3  whatever MB

And then mount hda1 as /boot and hda3 as /.

40 MB should be enough for all your kernels and boot blocks to live on.
This is an old bug in Lilo, which I think may have been fixed by now,
but I don't think it was in potato... *shrug*

Of course, the "whatever MB" can be again divided up further
if this is to be a production system into the various sensible divisions
covered in various FAQs (/var, /var/spool, /home), but that is a whole
kettle of fish...

If you are already running Windows on the system, write down the
model numbers of soundcards, SCSI cards, ethernet, video card etc as
well as IRQ, DMA, and anything else you may need to
configure things. It saves time in the long run.

Know which serial port your modem is plugged into. If it is in COM1
under Windows, then thats /dev/ttyS0 under linux. COM2 = /dev/ttyS1.

HTH.
  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_bromberger.com> www.rcpt.to/~james