[plug] geforce2, xf86 336 and 40

Clint Carlson clintcar at dingoblue.net.au
Mon Apr 2 07:54:36 WST 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:02:21 +0800 (WST)
Carl Gherardi <gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Carl Gherardi wrote:
>
> > I've now removed the 3.3.6 packages but the startup scripts are broken.
>
> I should correct myself and ask how to generate a new xinit file, OR what
> should 'X' (which is a symbolic link under Mandrake) be pointing to?
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Carl

Mandrake 7.2, unless you do an expert install, automatically installs 3.3.6.
It installs all the source files for 4.0, so all you have to do is create a
link ... /etc/X11/X to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86.that should enable 4.0. Then all
you have to do is install the drivers, insert the "load 'glx'" into your
xconfig-4 and change the driver to Nvidia and viola. I know all this from
experience ... had the same problem myslef :)

Cody