[plug] Good config for low-end pentium (was Free CD linux - a ny good ?)

Bruce Fountain B_Fountain at motherwell.com.au
Mon Apr 2 09:36:43 WST 2001

The Thought Assassin wrote:
> Is there a reason you can't just upgrade the packages you need to be
> up-to-date and keep the rest of your system as-is?

Well, it was pretty old and I didn't have much investment in the config.
I thought it would be easier to backup a couple of MB of stuff I wanted
to keep and load a new system from scratch. Actually it didn't work out
so well - the boot disk (Storm/debian) couldn't seem to find my cdrom,
so I hit a bit of a brickwall. Picked up a copy of Mandrake 7.2 on the
weekend and I might give that a go.

> > I could just run fvwm2 (as I have been up until now) but I
> would like to
> > play around with some GUI development and I guess that means QT.
>
> Not really. There are a lot of UI toolkits out there, and each of them
> probably has a reason for being preferred to QT in some niche
> situation.
> No doubt the list can give you an idea of which toolkits to
> look at if you
> describe the particulars of your situation.

QT looked like the way to go because it is stable, C++ and portable
to Windows. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

> If your app needs KDE integration, (and it certainly doesn't
> sound that
> way) then you will want to install KDE for testing.
> Otherwise, QT is fine
> on it's own

Well I guess I will install it and see what all the fuss is about.
I can always go back to fvwm2.

Bruce

This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
Group may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
nzpostmaster at mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.