[plug] strange e-mail dates

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 2 10:41:38 WST 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Aunty Jack wrote:

> several times in the past week ( my entire history on this list) some emails
> will come down with _tomorrow's_ date. then later downloaded ones weill appear
> in my message list before the incorrectly dated ones, until that date and time
> has been passed in the real world - resulting in replys being ahead of the
> original message, etc.

Are the offending emails from the same person/people?

At least one of the people of this list has invalid timezone settings
(GMT + 80 hours instead of GMT + 8 hours) which will cause problems
like you described - it will cause his email to be shown several days out
of whack on those mail clients that look at the original date stamp.
I think some other people on this list have the wrong time on their clock.

I used to have my mailreader sort by send-date too, for a while, but it
started to get really annoying because there are a lot of people out there
with misconfigured clocks & timezones (and not just on this list), so I
sort by arrival date instead.

 - Matt