[plug] SysAdmin question

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Apr 2 22:18:22 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:23:37PM +0800, billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
> is there a utility that will look at all the linux machines on a network
> and give back details like kernel versions, disk usage etc.? - some kind of
> configuration tacking.  Also, is there a command that will list all The
> machines on a network - primarily I am after linux, but there are also suns
> and NT.

Sounds like a perfect reason to use SNMP. Simple Network Monitoring Protocol.
You can query remote machines (if you have the priveleges) for details
on disk, cpu, network, etc. MRTG, the graphing software that shows network
interface usage, uses SNMP for querying the number of packets sent/recv.
You can even hook up custom commands to run in response to queries.

Or try installing mon on each one.

HTH.

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html