[plug] httptunnel in 'doze (OT?)

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 3 06:41:09 WST 2001

Bernard Blackham wrote:

> List,
>
> I'm exploring the possibilities of httptunnel and as useful as it seems it
> would be brilliant if there was a Windows 9x version of the client. I
> gather that I can build it under Cygwin to make a statically linked .exe
> so if I'm elsewhere on a 'doze machine I can just download the one file
> and use the httptunnel client. I've yet to dabble with Cygwin and don't
> like the outlook of having to download megabytes of GNU tools to compile
> httptunnel under Win9x.

I did just that - worked fine but I formatted the disk since and
installed linux! - so your out of luck there.  Actually the cygwin net
installer is a breeze and can be used to compile lotsa linux
(commandline anyway) apps under windoze, so can be quite usefull - in
other words, its worth the effort.

> In my searches, if anybody is interested, on slashdot was an article about
> an RFC 3093 published for TCP/IP over HTTP for firewalls (and also a lot
> of people thinking it's an April Fools joke), but could find no reference
> to any programs that have yet implemented the standard. But I'm sure it
> will become useful once it's widely adopted.

I think the httptunnel docs mention using ppp over httptunnel to do just
that.  Without compression it would be very slow though.  How to destroy
a firewall ...

BillK