[plug] Languages

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Apr 4 13:28:35 WST 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, The Thought Assassin wrote:

> neither of them are suitable for non-programmers, though, which may be the
> target audience judging from the bit about accounting.

Good point. Simon needs ot give a lot more detail.

> >    Tcl lets you create your own commands and syntax,
>
> It lets you write your own functions, but so do most languages. In what
> way does it let you write commands/syntax in a way other languages don't?

Interesting question. It might be more accurate to say Tcl has almost no
syntax. e.g. in this sample:

  while { $i < 5 } {
     puts "-$i-"
     incr i
  }

the parser sees 'while' as just another procedure call. It has two
argument, each being a block of code. Of course this only makes much sense
in an interpreted language. You could write your own version of 'while'
within the language.

> I'd advise against embedding Tk. Embed Tcl and use whatever windowing
> framework you are already using, so that you visual environment remains
> tightly under the control of the main program.

In Simons case yes, but embedding Tcl/Tk in a new C/C++ program might be
the easiest way to write a GUI. But I say that as someone who hasnt used
Qt or gnome yet.   Anyone care to give a comparison in a rapid-prototyping
context?

> I'm afraid we need to invoke the standard PLUG warcry: "give us more
> details!" so that we can give better (more detailed :) advice.

Amen.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--