[plug] ADSL experience!

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Apr 5 18:36:20 WST 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:26:29PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> 	Yes, ADSL rocks. :)
> 	If you are going to serve (via ip-masqing) other machines on the
> network, dont forget to change the MTU of the clients to 1412.... If you
> dont then net access will be slow/non-functional/ok in spurts etc
>
> 	Have fun! You with telstra?

Looks like we're all having fun. My 512K ADSL went in at home yesterday,
and yes, its now running fine under Debian. Love that IP masq. ;)

As to the MTU, you can adjust one setting in the rp-pppoe scripts which
will take care of this for you, so you don't need to modify every client
on the network.

Plus, Telstra has a news server which carries a newsgroup they don't
export called smoething along the lines of "tech.bigpond.adsl.linux".

Speed: 9.99 seconds for a 1 MB transfer from inside Telstra DSL net.
However, I find that the performance out of the DSL network to be pertty
slow, at least in comparision to my iiNet DSL in Osborne Park, where 40 ms
is normal to most servers in Perth. Telstra backhauls Perth DSL traffic to
Melbourne, and even machines over there are at the 120+ ms rtt.

Telstra does not peer in Perth nor does it have any servers in Perth,
but aparently around September they shuold have a server here.

But my 'rsyncs' of the Debian archive just fly now. ;)

	James

> 	From:	Jason Nicholls <jason at mindsocket.com.au> on 05-04-2001 01:16
> PM
> 	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
> 	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
> 	cc:
>
> 	Subject:	[plug] ADSL experience!
>
> 	Just letting people know that my ADSL server was setup today and
> within 10mins
> 	of the guy leaving I had it working under linux too ;) BTW, that
> 10mins
> 	included a kernel recompile to add support for the supplied SMC EZ
> 10/100
> 	network card (really a rtl8139).
>
> 	The rp-pppoe package is really great. It even includes a script that
> asks a
> 	bunch of questions and handles all necessary config changes.
>
> 	Now I guess comes the real test - performance :) And just in time
> for the
> 	gnome-1.4 release too!
>

> 	Regards,
>
> 	Jason Nicholls
> 	Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841    email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
> 	Proprietor                        mobile: 0417 410 811
> 	Mind Socket [web services]          http://www.mindsocket.com.au/

> the system manager.

> www.mimesweeper.com

 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html