[plug] Help please

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 6 17:12:37 WST 2001

Aaron W wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> My school has a network running on win98 and nt server
> and they have done somthing so that access restrictions on the desktop can be
> implied according to the password that you type , for example , the students dont
> have access to any icons on the desktop and can only open up assigned programs such
> as word , ie .etc . I have spoken to the computer technician and he informed me
> that I can only do this to my network if I have Nt Server . Is this true and can I
> do this with Mandrake 7.2 or redhat 7

Your schools technician is clueless.  This can be done with any OS that
supports samba, ie any linux distro you choose.  http://www.samba.org
would be a good place to start looking, or just install samba and read
some of its documentation.  Basically you need to set up samba as a
domain server and you need to create a profile with a program on your
windows cd and copy the file over to your linux box.  Sorry I don't
remember the specifics of the windows operations as it's been over 12
months since I last did this but it's definitely possible and well
documented.

Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 5:10PM  up 25 days, 53 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.02, 0.04, 0.01