[plug] Re:Parted RMP

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 6 17:26:18 WST 2001

Leonora Telecentre wrote:

> All right, found the file. I still can't work it out though.
>
> The machine is not connected to the net -- there are a number of MS machines
> that are, which I am using for access.
>
> Do I need to be connected within Linux for RMP's?
>
> What files do I need from the RMP directory?

First of all it's rpm, not rmp and the procedure for installing one onto
your computer is very similiar to how you would install a program on a
windows machine.  If you want a new mp3 player, you search around,
download yourchoice.exe and run it correct?  Well the linux equivalent
is you download yourchoice.rpm and run the program
rpm -i yourchoice.rpm

Other than that small difference the paradigm is essentially the same so
I can't tell you which file you need any more than you can tell me which
mp3 player I want.  And like the .exe how you get the rpm file onto your
machine is irrelevant as long as it gets there, you can use floppy,
network, internet or even carrier pigeon if you can figure out how.

As a rough guide if it has <blahblah>.src.rpm it's not the binary, only
a source code collection, you probably want to avoid that and your
should make sure you download the right file for your architecture, ie
i386, not sparc or alpha or somesuch.  But your best bet is to try to
find the parted homepage and follow their instructions rather than
trying to wing it from their ftp site.

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 5:20PM  up 25 days,  1:03, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00