[plug] Fw: I am so sorry!Your hosts was hacked!

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Apr 7 09:50:03 WST 2001

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 11:11:57PM +0800, Linux wrote:
> Hi all I have just recieved this most polite email and have verified its
> correctness
> I have also followed the instructions.

Someone presumably breaks into your computer and then you're willing to
do exactly what they say?  Seems to be a little bit like being mugged
and then giving the mugger directions to the nearest ATM!

> I thought that I had the latest version of bind 8.2.2-P3
> well when I went to the RedHat site a couple of weeks back that is what they
> offered.

I think Anthony's advice here is spot on.  Back up any data on the
system that you need (checking it carefully if it is configuration
information etc. that may have been altered) and then wipe it completely
and do a complete re-install *plus* all security updates.  At this point
you may want to consider joining your vendor's security announcement
mailing list so you can get these updates quickly after they happen.
Visiting a web site regularly is ok but it's easy to forget and having
them email you would seem to be a better way to go.

Regards,

Christian.
--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C