[plug] Re: Nick Miller challenge (was Lexmark Printers)

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Apr 9 11:38:37 WST 2001

	Sounds good, but here's my experience.

	I run XFree 4.0.1 (or maybe 4.0.2, cant remember) and I have a g400
32M dual head. Under windows I get,despite a few second long pauses, around
30-40fps in hires 'everything' mode in Unreal Tournament.

	under Linux, things are different. Although Quake III runs close to
the speed of windows (mostly), UT just doesnt cut it. With a reduced res and
detail I still get a slower framerate. And when the scene becomes quite
complicated, I get MAJOR slowdowns (ie 6-7 fps) whereas under windows the
same scene would only slow down to 25-30 fps.

	I read on the xfree site that for G400 the driver still uses
software rendering for some things.

	I guess its just driver maturity, but it still stops me from
throwing away windows if I wanna play UT Tac Ops online :)