[plug] openssh

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Tue Apr 10 17:11:57 WST 2001

At 04:37 PM 10/04/2001 +0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:23:11PM +0800, Paul Dean wrote:
> > checked /var/log/secure (red hat)
> > nothing about refuse RSA Auth???
> > it's like it checks the key but then asks for a password too...
>
>Check the server /etc/ssh/sshd_config about the default Protocol. eg:
>
>         Protocol 2, 1

this is so....

>will set ssh2 as the default protocol. If that's the case then perhaps you're
>trying to do DSAAuthentication rather than RSAAuthentication. If you're doing
>DSAAuth you need to create a file ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 in your home dir on
>the server. Also note the RSA and DSA keys are different. RSA usually have
>files name "identity.pub" and "identity", while DSA have files named
>"id_dsa.pub" and "id_dsa".

ok I think this is the case, although I have tried creating an
~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 but if ssh2 is only DSA and not both DSA and RSA
then maybe I've found the problem.

>If something like this appears to be the problem then read the man page ;)

unfortunately the man pages don't go into a lot of detail about the two
protocols

Regards

Paul Dean
IT Support Officer