[plug] OT: 10/100 hubs

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Tue Apr 10 23:46:48 WST 2001

On 10 Apr 2001 23:25:40 +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2001, Adam Ashley wrote:
> > you can't go past the netgears. Got a Netgear DS108 running here which
> > is autosensing 10/100 per port, got three systems running at 100 and the
> > other 5 at 10 works great. and at most places the prices is pretty
> > reasonable.
>
> Hmmm, I have a FS108 switch with Netgear's tulip FA310TX cards in almost
> every machine (two linux, two windows) , yet the highest throughput I
> usually get is around 7MB/s at the best of times (measured with tcpblast).
> Does this sound about right for a 100 mbps network?
>
> Also the switch runs pretty awfully hot, even with decent ventilation.
> I've setup a FS104 switch with a linux server previously, and the switch
> simply sitting on top of a machine in an air conditioned room in a
> ventilated spot, reached temps that could almost burn your hand. Normal?
> Surely, no. Netgear just said that it wasn't getting adequate ventilation.
> Do they want us to install a fan on the darn thing ourselves?

Think there might be something wrong with your hub then, cause mine sits
in a corner with crappy ventilation, and is normally buried in stuff,
and i dont have any problems with heat. The case is warm, but nothing
like what you described. As for the speed i have no idea, i slept
through that part of networking theory.

Adam