[plug] Modem not recognised

harrybw harrybw at iname.com
Fri Apr 20 10:19:07 WST 2001

I have an IBM Aptiva with a Conexant HCF V90 56K Data/Fax Modem installed
which connects to iiNet under Windows 98 but Linux does not recognise it.
I have followed the instructions on iiNet's Linux support page
(www.iinet.net.au/help/linux/index.html) which involved editing
/etc/resolv.conf, making a symbolic link to /dev/modem from /dev/cua3 (I
also made on from /dev/ttyS1 because I that's the Australian PC User Linux
Pocketbook said to do), editing /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

I typed pppd only to have another command line appear and no modem action.

When I try to use the wizard it cant detect my modem.

Any help?

Thanks.
Harry Wykman.