[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Sun Apr 22 17:34:22 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 02:31:36PM +0800, hooli wrote:
>
> > I don't have the opportunity to be at a lecture live and serve it up, but I
> > have been frustrated no end at times with notes and other such material being
> > soley produced in word for example.  Other instances include having to
> > purchase Matlab when Octave is bloody marvellous,

Were you forced into purchasing Matlab either by circumstance or unit
requirements?  The reason I ask is I'll be using Matlab next semester
and was planning on a looking for a linux replacemnt.

> Regarding lecture notes, you have a right to complain if you can't view
> these but you can actually view these under Linux pretty reliably so I
> don't see that there's really a huge problem with this (PowerPoint is
> another matter though).

Depends on what you mean by reliably.  I was able to view the first 2
weeks lecture notes for the introductory course B102 in Abiword but the
third one kept crashing it.  Eventually I gave in to the dark side and
installed the monstrous Star Office 5.2.  My maths lecturer on the other
hand posts her lecture notes as pdf.  Now if she can manage a
non-proprietary format why haven't the so-called technologists from the
computer department gotten a clue?

> The three Unix-based units I know of, off the top of my head are B338,
> B310 and B228 -- the latter being mine.  Not sure if I know you or not
> but, if not, you can add another Murdoch-based Unix user to your list.

Sounds like there's almost enough Murdoch people here to make an MLUG
:).  Speaking of which does anyone know what the 'linux room' is used
for?  I assume it's a lab full of PCs running linux but the door's shut
every time I walk past it.

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 5:30PM  up 41 days,  1:13, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.11, 0.09