[plug] Why bother?

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 23 11:15:52 WST 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Why bother, why not give into the borg and use M$ products?

Because I have work to do, and need the best tools.

> What is it that keeps you using Samba, or indeed any other open source
> software like Linux, FreeBSD, GIMP, etc.

They are usually the best tools for the job. If they are not, at least I
know it is _my_fault_ and _I_ can fix them, instead of grumbling about how
long it takes $PROPRIETARY_VENDOR to fix their bugs, and getting nothing
done while I wait for the fixes or new features I need..

> Are there any rational economic arguments for doing so?

I get my work done, and the software doesn't get in my way. I don't have
to pay monopoly rates for service/support to the only company with the
source code. Free Software is often cheaper initially, too.

> Isn't it easier to use M$ products because so many school levers are
> familiar with the products now that M$ have managed to weasel their
> curriculum into so many school and college boards ...?

It's no easier for me, no. It might be easier for them, but they are not
working as effectively as me.

> Isn't maintenance so much easier since so many people know how to use their
> products?

I don't think anyone knows how to use closed source products to the degree
that Free Software users are able to (and often do) know theirs.

> Aren't we just refusing to acknowledge that M$ have won? Shouldn't we just
> pay the M$ tax and get on with our lives?

What have they won? M$ has a lot of money, but Free Software developers
have clear consciences, and generally better softeware.

-Greg Mildenhall