[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

J j at vrl.com.au
Mon Apr 23 02:43:03 WST 2001

> Actually, I don't think it was ever patented.  Just made a trade
> secret.  Of course, then someone posted it to USENET in 1994...

Applied Cryptography, Second Edition, by Bruce Schneier, p397:

"In September, 1994 someone posted source code to the
Cypherpunks mailing list - anonymously.  It quickly spread to the
Usenet newsgroup sci.crypt, and via the Internet to ftp sites around
the world.  Readers with legal copies of RC4 confirmed
compaibility.  RSA Data Security, Inc. tried to put the genie back
into the bottle, claiming that it was still a trade secret even though
it was public; it was too late."