[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 23 16:56:03 WST 2001

Peter Wright wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:36:23PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > I trust, then, that you already shun DVDs in this fashion?
>
> DVDs are "decryptable" under non-(Windows|Mac) platforms.

Not legally (unless the case has taken a turn I haven't heard about).
You can only decrypt them because brave people have published the code
despite legal threats and are now in court.  Expecting that people of
this calibre will always be around to fight your fights for you is naive
IMO and why I currently *do* shun DVDs (well that and poverty).

But I'm not as worried as some about the whole eroding rights thing
because it seems to me the logical fallacy of believing content can be
100% protected is that at some point the media has to reach a human,
either audio must reach your ears or visual data must reach your eyes.
At that point you have the option of plugging your audio output plug
directly in the audio input of $recording_device.

That said I recommend people interested in this topic read Richard
Stallmans
It's a 1984-ish type short story with the twist that most of the
scanarios have actually been proposed by publishers.  Scary.

Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 4:40PM  up  6:25, 1 user, load averages: 0.11, 0.04, 0.01