[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 23 17:09:40 WST 2001

Peter Wright wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:25:42PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
>
> > The guy obviously puts zero research into his articles,
>
> Oooooh.... gross generalisation.... and "obviously"?

Well it seemed obvious to me too.  Despite his claim in the original
article that he would be installing the software and reviewing it he
merely strung together quotes that had been mailed him.  And then had
the gall to say Christian had sent a 'haughty' response accusing him of
being unethical for guessing he was going to do exactly what he *did*
do.

> > otherwise he would never have had to ask on this list. He could have
> > grabbed a distro and checked it for himself.
>
> He's in the process of doing just that. However, remember that limitations
> of time mean that the more value he extracts from this sort of hands-on
> research, the more time it takes...

Well good for him, but noone was any the wiser to that except whoever
had been told in private correspondence apparently.  This doesn't apply
only to Nick but it really irks me me when 'computer journalists' make
excuses for not having tried different OS's other than Windows with
excuses like it's too hard, I even recall one columnist writing that
linux looked interesting but he'd spent too much time tweaking his
Windows system to 'risk' installing an alternative OS.  That's one thing
coming from an ordinary user but from someone who is actually *paid* to
advise others on technology based on their so-called expertise?
Un-fucking-believable.

Steve
--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 4:55PM  up  6:40, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00