[plug] Slow Serial Port

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Tue Apr 24 07:00:42 WST 2001

>>> The problem is my second serial port ttyS1 seems to get hung up almost
>>> like it has a irq problem.  I can dial into my modem on ttyS0 and there
>>> is no problem When I dial into ttyS1 I get 45%-90% packet loss pings are
>>> 140/ms

>>> I have tried disabling the second onboard serial port and fitted a
serial
>>> i/o card and tried all possable irq settings i/e  3-4-5
>>> I have changed motherboards and CPU

Basic question/thought:

Are your comm ports using a cable from M/B pin-outs to the baclplane of the
computer?  Try switching the cables (ttyS0<->ttyS1) .. It might sound
simple, but you could have interference on that little piece of cable if it
hasn't been replaced in all the rest of the stuff you've done.

Note: I have seen problems before with this bit, although not this
particular prob,

- Brian.