[plug] MS Curriculum

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Tue Apr 24 07:09:06 WST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jamie Adair" <jamie at arach.net.au>

> Just to clarify the MS "arrangement" with EDWA - they have negotiated for
us
> (how nice) for the complete suite of MS products in what's now known as
the
> "black" folder. All schools have one. What's even nicer is that all EDWA
> employees are permitted and encouraged to install any amount of the
software
> on their home computers as part of the corporate license. We are also
> permitted to burn as many copies as we need for school use. So the MS
> dynasty grows stronger and stronger!

I am led to understand that this licensing package cost EDWA in the order of
$30mil .. is this right?  I have not heard for what length of time this is
for either .. (??)

Does anyone have any stats on how many students there are in WA (so we can
calc how many comps needed, etc) and how many school sites?

Leon (I'm fairly sure it was Leon) posted an article (or a link to it) about
the economic benefits of Free Software to this list some time late last
year.  It was an excellent 'rant' that I thought I kept it but have been
looking for it for two days now without success.  If anyone else remembers
it, it was talking about ..

'if you're a shareholder or a taxpayer, you should be demaning of your
company/government to use free software for economic reasons alone'
(paraphrased).

I just thought all this might be pertinent in view of the recent threads
here.

- Brian.