[plug] Spark

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Apr 27 13:35:47 WST 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Simon Scott wrote:

> 	Are these things fixed or mult-sync or something else? I remember
> seeing adapter cables for them (vga to 13W3) but would they be useful under
> Linux?

They are fixed frequency.
If they'll work on your PC depends mainly on the frequency they run at.

My main monitor is a 19" Hitachi fixed frequency, also off a Sun, but it
has 5xBNC connectors on it.  I had someone make me up a VGA->5BNC cable
and with a lot of stuffing around with modelines etc managed to get it to
work nicely at 1152x864 under X, and somehow managed to get it to work at
1024x768 under Glide (2x Voodoo2) and even under windows. This is with a
"standard" video card.

On the other hand, from what I've read on the 'net when I was last
researching it, I won't be able to get the Sony to work without a
special video card.

There are lots of websites devoted to fixed-frequency monitors.
Do a websearch for the model number of your monitor, and see what turns
up.

 - Matt