[plug] setup issues

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sun Apr 29 10:15:05 WST 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Jon  Miller wrote:

> Setting up a Debian server (first time by myself) and I need some assistance in setting up the server to:
> 1) auto dial the ISP on boot up
I beleive that if you look on /etc/init.d/ppp you'll see a comment about "XXX
file must exists to dila the 'Net on boot up.

Just create that file and make sure there is a symlink in the appropriate
rc?.d directory.

> 2) setup the proxy

Install squid.  I have lots of experience with squid BUT I've never seen the
default install on debain.  In general you wull need to:

 1) setup your ISP's proxy server as a parent using the cache_peer config
option.
 2) add an acl for your local clients and then give the http_access,
miss_access (and optioanlly icp_access)
 3) set never_direct allow all, this will force all objects not in your cache
to be fetched from your ISP's cache.

All of these options are better explaind on www.squid.org

> 3) allow users on the internal network to forward e-mail using (Postfix and IMAP and SNMP installed).

firstly I hope you mean SMTP not SNMP (the latter is a network management
protocol NOT mail).

Anyway this is best left for users of postfix.  I don't use it so I can't
help.

> 4) users cannot web browse from their desktop.

Once you have setup a proxy server (step 2) point your clients at the IP of
the server on port 3128 (that is the default but you may have changed it)

The they should all be able to browse the web.

Geteting them to g\have ftp,irc,telnet, ssh etcetc access will require
ipchains (k2.2) or iptables (k2.4) ... small steps though.

HTH

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein