[plug] Wanted: some Telstra ADSL in Perth & Firewall advice

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Apr 29 13:50:41 WST 2001

G'day,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 12:35:59PM +0800, Mark Nold wrote:
> 1. Is Telstra ADSL worthwhile? Currently i'm spending approx $70/month for a
> reliable dial-up so as long as the ADSL is reliable i'm not much worse off.
> But i like the possibility of also being able to play games like
> Infiltration/Unreal Tournament/ Age of Empires etc, is this realistic with
> ADSL in Perth?

I've only had ADSL for a couple weeks, but it's certainly worth it for me! I
was originally paying around $70/month for a 2nd line, calls, and access
charges. Telstra charge $78/month for their cheapest unlimited type account as
long as you also use Telstra for local/long distance calls.

For me it even works out a little better because by having Bigpond (ADSL),
phone, and mobile on the same bill I receive a 10% discount.

I regularly game on the Optus at Home quake3 servers and have a ping around
100ms. On good days this will average around the 90ms mark and bad days over
200ms. The last week has seen regular 200ms ping times during the days. Also,
I have been having packet loss problems in short 20-30sec durations over the
last couple days. This is happening at the vic. ADSL/telstra network gateway
router.

An added bonus of having broadband access is the speed of downloading linux
distro ISO images ;) I'm currently grabbing the complete set of RH7.1 CDs.

Later,

Jason Nicholls