[plug] Two obscure problems

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Sun Apr 29 16:46:49 WST 2001

> First, how to disable a PCI device from being allocated an IRQ that it is
> sharing with something else.  Windows can share IRQs but Linux can't
> apparently and I have video and ethernet on-board that are sharing IRQ
> 4.  I've been fiddling with setpci but it doesn't seem to work, lspci -v
> still shows them with the video having IRQ 4 and the ethernet having 0
> (ie. error).

I wouldn't have a scmick about the second problem, but the first seems like
PnP stuffing things up for you.

Try turing off/on "PnP OS" in your CMOS and see what devices come up.  The
situation I had similar problems with before was an ethernet card wouldn't
load modules if PnP was on because the CMOS was scanning the PCI bus (which
includes the on-board ones) and then locking the card out for some reason.
Turing off the "PnP OS" feature meant that it didn't do as thorough scan
(wasn't listed in the CMOS summary info) and I could then load it manually
(or at least, in the startup scripts).

If you can set your ethernet card/mb parameters (either through jumpers or
utility software that comes with the card/mb), this may help by forcing it
to a more normal IRQ for ethernet (10 or 11).

HTH.
- Brian.