[plug] dlls and windows

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Apr 29 19:52:54 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:25:59AM +0800, Rob Dunne wrote:

> > DLL:	Dynamic Link Library
> >
> > 	It's a Windows environment concept.  There are dynamic library on
> > UNIX, but they are not as flexible and not as central to
> > the OS as Windows's.  In short:  it is not standardised between platforms.
> > 	Windows OS is in DLLs:  user32.dll, gdi32.dll, kernel32.dll, etc.  .
> > The mouse drivers, the keyboard drivers, and so on are DLLs (even if they
> > have .drv extension).  Font files (.fon) are special sorts of DLLs:  they
> > contain no functionality but only resources.
> > 	This is why Windows system is easy to update:  you change the
> > updated DLLs, reboot and your system is updated.  On Linux, you must
> > recompile the OS to make changes on kernel components.

This is a joke, right?

Dynamically linked libraries are a Windows concept?  The acronym DLL
might be but that's about it.

Shared libraries aren't as flexible under Unix?  Ummm...  I'd be
interested to know how exactly.

Not standardised between platforms?  This is interesting because for
Windows there is supposedly just one platform: Win32 (on Intel).
However, from everything I've heard, all the different version and
variants of Windows tend to work differently in an enormous number of
respects.  I'm sure this has an impact on their shared libraries.

Windows is easy to update? *rotfl*  What planet are you from?  On Linux
you have to recompile the OS to make changes on kernel components?
Ummm... I think you mean "On Linux you have the advantage of being able
to recompile the kernel making your own custom changes otherwise you can
just accept the stock standard kernel images than your distributor gives
you which is effectively the same thing as happens under Windows when
Microsoft supplies you with a new set of kernel libraries."

Personally I've never had to deal with it but I've heard from plenty of
people about a situation described as "DLL Hell".  As I said, I've never
had to deal with it -- I use Linux.  And Debian at that. :-)

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C