[plug] Serial port fun

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Sun Apr 29 23:49:20 WST 2001

> We plugged in the card, did a kernel compile with extended serial support,
(for
> more than 4 ports) and rebooted.  No sign of the ports.  After much
hunting
> around, we did a mknod to get 4 devices to show up.  So far so hoopy.
Then we
> did setserial for each of the ports (like this)
> # setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 15 uart 16550
> # setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq 12 uart 16550
> # setserial /dev/ttyS6 irq 10 uart 16550
> # setserial /dev/ttyS7 irq 9 uart 16550
>
> now, ignoring the obvious IRQ conflicts here, that says that the first
port is
> COM4 with an IRQ of 14, the second COM5 with IRQ 12 and so on.  Am I
right?

<picky>
COM5 - COM8 since you start at ttyS0 as COM1
</picky>

.. but that's irrelevant as you will always be refering to it as /dev/ttyS4,
etc..

All I can suggest is to look at some /proc files to see what exactly is
allocated .. eg do you have 4 ports in /proc/ioports and are the IRQ's
allocated in /proc/interputs ?
It might also pay to see what's in /proc/tty/drivers and
/proc/tty/driver/serial (which is duplicating info form some other areas).

If you're not getting the interupts and drivers listed, you're not
recognizing your hardware.  Look at getting an appropriate module.

If you are getting this far, then double-check your setserial man page,
double-check that the settings you're trying to put in via setserial match
what your system believes to be the case and give minicom (or wvdial)
another go.

HTH.

Brian.