clipboard, was Re: [plug] Dumb question

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Apr 30 18:01:36 WST 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Brad Campbell wrote:

> While I'm here, how can I copy from an xterm into the clipboard to paste into
> netscape ?
>
> Xterm to Xterm is easy. I have GPM loaded and I just highlight and
> middle click to paste, but I can't get it into netsacpe

Not so simple. That isnt the "clipboard". The xterm highlighted text is
the "primary selection". Middle click should paste it in netscape too.

 The "clipboard" is something else in X.  Motif uses the clipboard, but
netscape has long since worked with the primary selections for me.

paul wrote:

>> Netscape is "Alt+v" or goto "Edit/Paste"

Yes, but its nice if the "normal" X mouse button bindings work too. It
does on rehhat 6. Does it work on debian? Is this a distro thing?

OK, I found the config file. On my system it is:
/usr/doc/netscape-common-4.72/Netscape.ad

You will need the line:

    <Btn2Down>:             xfeDoCommand(paste,selection)\n\

Is that there?
Note that button-3 does a popup menu (like old SunOS), not
extend-selection.

    <Btn3Down>:         xfeDoPopup()            \n\

Isnt X wonderful?

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--