[plug] Non Linux Qn: Names of funny characters

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 30 21:52:11 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:14:30PM +0800, skribe wrote:
[...]
> A google search gives me 157 matches for "octothorpe ampersand circumflex
> asterisk". Most of the ones on the first page are jargon dictionaries of some
> sort.  Many of the characters have multiple names.
[...]

It's not a complete co-incidence that you can find the handy program
"ascii" at ;
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/software.html

given that ESR is the editor of the Jargon File and the author of an
Intercal compiler (the source of some of the siller puncuation names).

Available via "apt-get install ascii", naturelement.

roj: ~> ascii octothorpe
ASCII 2/3 is decimal 035, hex 23, octal 043, bits 00100011: prints as `#'
Official name: Number Sign
Other names: Pound, Number, Sharp, Crunch, Mesh, Hex, Hash, Flash, Grid, Octothorpe

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal