[plug] Logical partition...

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 1 10:27:41 WST 2001

On 31 Jul 2001, Craig Foster wrote:

> DOS / Windows should only read from the first primary partition. It is
> probably best to set it up thus:-
>
> Primary 1 - Linux
> Primary 2 - Windows 98
> Primary 3 - Linux Swap
> Logical	1 - Extended 1 - Shared Data
>
> It's a sad fact of early eighties thinking. Also Partition Magic will
> allow multiple primaries, whereas fdisk will warn you...
>
> As for a better file system, ReiserFS seems to be winning the most
> applause, but I think Mandrake and Suse are the only mainstream
> distributions to have it available at installation time. A patch, while
> very educational, may seem too hard.

Reiserfs is also an option with slackware 8 (as long as you use the 2.4.5
kernel)

You can also convert any other modern distribution to use reiserfs pretty
easyly too by:

	1) Install distribution using ext2 filesystem
	2) Compile and install kernel with reiserfs support, build
	   reiserfs tools and install them.
	3) Boot using a slackware 8 cd (using the reiserfs kernel)
	4) mount both your partitions
	5) Use tar to generate an archive of your linux system, and store
           on your other partition
	6) Reformat your linux partition as reiserfs
	7) restore your files from the archive back onto the nre reiserfs
           partition
	8) reboot from the slackware 8 cd, telling LILO to use your new
	   reiserfs partition as the root drive.
	9) Allow it to stumble through bootup until you can login.
	10) Login as root and run lilo
	11) reboot and enjoy :-)

A couple of hours work, and not for the faint of heart or the low in hard
drive space, but it works well.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au