[plug] depmod problem?

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Thu Aug 2 00:25:38 WST 2001

From: "Bernard Blackham" <bernard at blackham.com.au>
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Brian Tombleson wrote:
> > What am I missing that depmod seems to be either not geting consulted or
not

> I believe what you're looking for is modprobe. modprobe and depmod go hand
> in hand - modprobe will load a module and all the modules it depends on.
> You shouldn't need to hack any of the init.d scripts.

Well, yes.  modprobe is what the system uses at boot - and this is what is
failing.

> Red Hat picked up my ne2k card, and it stuck a line into /etc/conf.modules
> that says "alias eth0 ne2k-pci" so I'm guessing that's one of the steps if
> not all. Try adding that for a start. There's more info in `man modprobe`
> but I'm sure other people can fill in the gaps I've missed.

I'm fairly sure I have the /etc/conf.modules correct as everything works
with three commands straight after boot:
insmod 8390
insmod ne2k-pci
/etc/init.d/networking restart

My understanding is that modprobe should've handled all this previously and
I'm wondering why it wouldn't be (?)

- Brian.