[plug] Gdk errors

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Fri Aug 3 10:22:17 WST 2001

> 	You mention stability, could you expand on this? ie general feel, an
> idea of how many crashes youd get attributable to GTK etc, if you have an
> idea that is.

GTK is rock solid (The only exception being unstable releases, which you
shouldn't need to use anyway). The only runtime bug I've ever found in GTK
was related to a misguided attempt to use threading without sufficient mutex
locks - and that wasn't really a GTK bug, it was a me bug :-)

> 	I have a need to write a somewhat trivial application but stability
> is a concern. It doesnt have to be 24/7 no crashes, but it cant be windoze
> either.

Again, 24/7 shouldn't be a major issue. Unless you're doing heavy image
manipulation work (which exposes some image caching problems with X), you
shouldn't have any problems with GTK stablity. Beyond GTK, application
stablity is 100% up to you; but using C/C++ you're always exposed to memory
allocation/array overrun errors and the like. If you can avoid these, your
application should bear a striking resemblance to Gibraltar :-)

> 	Either way, I guess I'll write some stuff in GTK myself and see how
> it goes.

As always, the best approach. The GTK tutorial is very good. From a baseline
of knowing very little about X programming, I built my first GTK application
(hello world on a button) in about half a day, and was using GTK to build a
useful applications in about 2 days.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia

Tel: +61 8 9362 5300
Fax: +61 8 9362 5400
Mobile: 0408 928 379