[plug] debian kernel upgrade without lilo

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Aug 4 00:19:49 WST 2001

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> Sorry should have gone into a little more detail (or perhaps dropped the
> floppy part?)
>
> I went into a little panic when "make install" of the kernel was
> unsuccessful
>
> Issue is not being able to boot the machine afterwards but the recovery
> procedure of _all_ booting stuff.
>
> After claming the nerves and investigating it looks like only System.map
> and vmlinuz change.

Carl,

Ah, sorry! I think I follow you now. Yes, the only two things that should
change are vmlinuz, the kernel itself and System.map. If you back up these
two files from the previous kernel then you can replace them if your new
kernel should panic. I believe that's all there is to it.

What I've done on my machine is renamed the kernels to vmlinuz-2.2.19 and
vmlinuz-2.4.5 and the System.map file to System.map-2.2.19 and
System.map-2.4.5 and have a symbolic link from vmlinuz to the appropriate
kernel and same for System.map. Thus if you want to recover you only need
to change those symbolic links back to the original. (albeit if you use a
boot loader it doesnt really matter :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--