[plug] Printer choices -& hardware compatability lists

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 4 15:15:41 WST 2001

Hi Plug,  my printer has snuffed it.

I have had a look at the following:
http://lhd.datapower.com/  (appears to be few references to our local models)
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3 (looks good - but in its
infancy)
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/genpage2.cgi?pagename=7.1&statpage=7.1-iio
(fair detail)
Any better suggestions for research?

It seems that if I really want to be sure I have to get an HP laserjet 1200
($775), or Kyocera FS1000 ($592)  The old-style, reliable and probably slow
HP 840c inkjet ($209) appears compatable. HP 930c ($249) is an unknown
quantity.

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/linuxguide12/printable.shtml
recommends Epson Stylus 780-$US112, but it's not listed as for sale in
Australia.

The Manufacturers' sites of HP, Epson and Canon don't seem to even mention
Linux in the price range I looked at.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated,
Daniel.