[plug] Barbarians at the gate...

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Aug 5 12:05:13 WST 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 11:46:00AM +0800, skribe wrote:
> I'm getting hits on my web server looking for http:///default.ida.  From what
> I've read this seems to a buffer overflow exploit for winnt/2000 IIS.  It
> seems to be coming from a variety of hosts: iinet to taiwan.  Is there
> anything I can do about it?  It's becoming annoying.

I think it was said earler; Code Red is a buffer overflow  exploit that
makes an HTTP request starting "/default.ida", and then has lots of "NNN"'s
in it. Even if you put an Apache directive in to deny this, then you will
still get a log entry. Indeed, how about:

  RedirectPermanent /default.ida http://localhost/i_am_worm_please_sanitise_me

This will change those 404's (not found) into 305 (redirect) or so.

There's not much more you can do, other than pre-parse your log file to remove
the annoying attempts. ;)

FYI:
	http://www.time.com/time/columnist/taylor/article/0,9565,169678,00.html

 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james