[plug] Linux Security Paper

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Aug 5 18:36:11 WST 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:37:33PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> > Once you've narrowed the area down, if you want to bounce any ideas off
> > me then feel free to email me privately.
>
> I'm curious, Christian: why? Surely the whole list would benefit?

Well I would have thought it was pretty obvious, Leon.  This isn't a
security list or even a Linux security list.  It certainly isn't a forum
for discussing the specifics of a research project undertaken by one
individual.  You can't flood a list with the details of the work that
each member happens to be involved with at a particular time.  Possibly
once the paper was complete Richard might want to post a link to it or a
short overview of any intersting conclusions he reached since this would
allow those on the list who are interested to find out more without
flooding the rest with information irrelevant to them.  I offered to
help on a private, individual basis because the work is in an area
related closely to my own but I didn't (and still don't) expect that the
majority of the list would want to see all the details of any discussion
relating to the development of the paper itself.  So, no, I don't think
the "whole" list would benefit at all and I doubt even the majority
would.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C