[plug] ISPs storing plain-text passwords...

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Aug 6 20:20:35 WST 2001

Hmm,

My brief anaylsis:

This could be a security problem depending on how it is implemented and used.

If the systems storing the passwords are not connected to the internet, then
the only thing you need to worry about is social engineering of the support
staff.

However, if the support staff can be socially engineered to give a stranger
your password, they could probably be made to change your password by a
stranger if no plain text passwords are not keep.

Now, if the systems are connected to the internet, then things start to get
interesting. The passwords are likely stored in a database. To get the
passwords out of the database, a cracker must:

	1) be able to access the database. This will probably involve breaking into
	one of the systems inside the ISP network (not a customer computer).
	2) Determining a password to access the database with.

To change a users password on an ISP:

	1) They must get an account on a machine where the passwords can be changed
	(not much harder than above)

The only main problem with having plain text passwords avaliable at the ISP
is that if a cracker/ social engineer determines the password, it may take
longer for the real account user to notice (as opposed to having the password
changed)

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au