[plug] Monitor dialup lines

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Aug 13 10:16:23 WST 2001

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, BaRT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone now of something to monitor dialup lines. I want to kick users form
> dialup lines if the lines fill up, if they go over a session time out etc
> etc. I want to monitor portslave line and Cyclades PR4000s lines.

One option.

pppd runs a program when the ip layer comes up and goes down
You can use that as a rudimentry event procedure.

It could maintaina status file, from theer write a quick perl script to
check the status file(s) and act as appropriate. (kill -HUP <pppd processID>

Shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to write and a few days of  _carefull_
monitoring to make sure it's right.

There are heaps of ways to do it.

Yours Tony.

/*