[plug] Question on Linux system security

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Aug 14 16:13:14 WST 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:56:49PM +0800, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> I came across this a while back when someone (linux clueless) said "So
> what would happen if I typed reboot?"
>
> as it turns out...
>
> rwxrwxrwx root root 	reboot -> halt
> rwxr-xr-x root root 	halt
>
> As a normal user you can reboot the machine from the console.

Eh?  Not like that you can't.

  $ reboot
  reboot: must be superuser.
  $

But you can always use the three finger salute.  I think most distros
enable that (in /etc/inittab) for any user logged in at the console (or
no user logged in on the console.)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
The Official MBA Handbook on business cards:
	Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm,
	Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate
	Planning."