[plug] Question on Linux system security

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 14 20:25:21 WST 2001

Hi Brett,
terminology: computers reboot/halt, applications restart.  Some X logins
(kdm on Mandrake is one I think) have an extra - restart X server

On a number of RH 6.2 systems I have installed, the standard
out-of-the-box was that reboot within a user logged in X session asked
for password, at the gdm login, allowed shutdown etc.  In linuxconf
somewhere are some settings that turn off user access (or set them to
ask for passwords) for a number of system commands like this.

For my money, a user on a desktop should be given full access, on a
server root only.  My reasons are that I know that many who decide to
reboot a machine and dont have access to do it properly will just cycle
the power anyway - and thats speaking from experiance (bloody NT
wackers)!  Ask for password is probably the safest, but that means
knowing the root password or playing with other settings - complicated.

In short, allowing shutdown by a user on a desktop is actually safer coz
its gonna happen anyway.

BillK