[plug] configuring sendmail - debian

Justin Hall justin at inwa.com.au
Wed Aug 15 14:20:03 WST 2001

Hello Gavin

If you are looking for a good solution, and you are willing to read a bit -
and don't mind a work in progress. Then check out Courier Mail -
http://courier.sourceforge.net/ - when setting up my Mail server I was going
to use Qmail - with POP3 and IMAP, and it was suggested that I use Courier
IMAP for IMAP with Qmail. Checked out the site, and decided to use the whole
package - it is only at version 0.35, but has been stable for me.

<clip from site>
The Courier mail transfer agent (MTA) is an integrated mail server suite that
provides ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, webmail, and
mailing list services within a single, consistent, framework. It grew out of
several related projects, that merged together (more
on that later). Courier implements SMTP extensions for mailing list
management and spam filtering. Courier can function as an
intermediate mail relay, relaying mail between an internal LAN and the
Internet, or perform final delivery to mailboxes. Courier
uses maildirs as its native mail storage format, but it can also deliver mail
to legacy mailbox files as well. Courier is configured
using plain text files and Perl scripts. Most of Courier's configuration can
also be set from a web-based configuration module.

Certain portions of Courier - the mail filtering engine, the webmail server
and IMAP server - are also available are standalone
packages that can be used with other mail servers.
</clip from site>

Justin