[plug] explicit e-mail routing; postfix/sendmail

Paul Day bonfire at bur.st
Fri Aug 17 13:30:36 WST 2001

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Christian wrote:
> > I thought if there was no MX, it would fallback to looking for a host.
> > Apparently not.
>
> I thought this too but my machine at uni has no MX record and yet I can
> send email directly to it.  I think the exact spec must be a little more
> complicated.

I always assumed most mail servers go against BIND and if they can't find
any MX records, but can find an A/CNAME, they'll try delivery to that host
to see if it accepts.

A few quick tests with Sendmail seem to agree with Mike and Christain.

PD

--
Paul Day    Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire   PGP-key: www.bur.st/~bonfire/pk.txt