[plug] File System Errors - Take II

Andrew Barbara andrew at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Aug 18 16:27:43 WST 2001

Hi,
Thanks for the ideas, i'm no sure if there is any problems with this, but here is the output of df -h and df -hi.
Any problems?

[root at gateway /]# df -h
/dev/hda1             2.9G  100M  2.6G   4% /
/dev/hda6             2.9G   20k  2.7G   1% /cache
/dev/hda9             486M  100M  361M  22% /home
/dev/hda7             2.9G  691M  2.0G  25% /usr
/dev/hda5             2.9G  180M  2.5G   7% /var
[root at gateway /]# df -hi
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda1               376k     18k    358k    5% /
/dev/hda6               376k      11    375k    1% /cache
/dev/hda9               125k    3.1k    122k    3% /home
/dev/hda7               376k     47k    328k   13% /usr
/dev/hda5               376k     17k    359k    5% /var
[root at gateway /]#

It looks like thers stackes of inodes and free space...
What else could cause my problems?
Thabks
Andrew

>>> steveg at calm.wa.gov.au 08/17/01 16:30 PM >>>
Sorry, my previous was probably a bit brief. To verify inode or space on
partitions:

df -hi

will tell you your inode status for each partition while

df -h

will tell you your diskspace allocation/availability for each partition.

Generally, with respect to /var if you're short on inodes, but have tons of
free space, suspect miriads of small files (eg. error messages sent to root -
either fix the thing(s) generating the messages, or clear out the messages
periodically). If you're short on space but have tons of inodes, suspect huge
logs. Similarly, check the logs to find the source of messages & fix that, or
move/clear old logs periodically.

Regards,
Steve