[plug] Redhat/RPM dependency question

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 20 13:27:43 WST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Peter Wright wrote:

> you could tell me (or drop a subtle hint to me :) what the general
> technique is for working out these sort of dependency issues.

Hi Peter,
this very question was discussed at the last Tuesday meeting.
The trick is to create your own list of which packages are on your
distro CD-set.
  Try "rpm -qp --filesbypkg  <dir>/*.rpm  > my-list-of-rpm-files.txt"
Then you can grep for the missing file. e.g.

  % grep libfam.so.0   my-list-of-rpm-files.txt

If that fails, you dont have the package anyway, and should search on the
net.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--