[plug] Mail Servers (was Mail Delivery options)

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 13:35:13 WST 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:05, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> The old system included in its functions Sendmail combined with cyrus-imap
> and procmail to receive mail, filter server-side, and dish it out via IMAP.
> It also has a pile of mail lists and other mail-related things where
> delivery is handled by a script.
>
> I'd like to get away from sendmail, and also change from cyrus to the UW
> imap server, and while I'm at it, gain some extra functionality. I'm
> considering switching to "qmail" for delivery, as someone illustrated that
> it can easily be used for wildcard mail aliases. Apart from this, is
> "qmail" an all-round decent mail deliverer? Are there any Gotcha's? Does
> anyone have any other recommended ones over qmail (and if so, why)?

So, no-one has any opinions of one mail delivery agent over another?? Wow!!

Further to the above query, I'm looking at UW's IMAP server upon a
recommendation that it's better than Cyrus - but I've seen little evidence of
that yet! It seems to be more of a pain, and less-featured than Cyrus. Am I
missing something? What IMAP servers do you recommend? Cyrus? UW? Other?
(Exchange under WINE won't run, 'coz it's a Sparc box. -_^)

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :